ICRARD contact in New Zealand:
Chief Inspector – Petroleum / Geothermal
Department of Labour
• Link to the Department of Labour: http://www.dol.govt.nz
• Link to the Department of Labour, Health and Safety section: http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/index.htm
• Link to New Zealand Legislation: http://www.legislation.govt.nz
About the Occupational Safety and Health Service, Department of Labour
As part of the Department of Labour, OSH provides information and guidance to assist New Zealand businesses. OSH also inspects workplaces to check on safety and health arrangements, investigates accidents at work, and makes sure employers and employees comply with health and safety legislation. We are also responsible for regulating the storage and use of hazardous substances, explosives and dangerous goods, and for the safety of amusement devices.
Part of the Department of Labour’s work relates to the regulation of the Petroleum, Mining and Geothermal industries. Regulations for the extractive sector are listed below.
Regulations for the extractive sector
Regulations have been made under the HSE Act that provide for safety and health in the petroleum and gas industry and in underground mining. The regulations concerned are the:
- HSE (Petroleum Exploration and Extraction) Regulations 1999
- HSE (Pipelines) Regulations 1999
- HSE (Mining -- Underground) Regulations 1999
- HSE (Mining Administration) Regulations 1996
- Geothermal Energy regulations 1961, Amendment No. 6